If you have tried anything on this site please leave a comment and let me know.

The more I hear from you the better! I love hearing how these activities are working in your home/daycare or nursery!
I get lots of emails about what you are doing, just leave a comment so everyone can read it too!


Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Homemade Lacing Cards

When I was a young girl I loved to sew. Cross-stitch, Latch Hook, anything I could get my hands on. When I sew things now as an adult I see my kids watching me and really wanting to do it so here are some practice lacing cards that you can make and they can enjoy!

What you need is Cereal Boxes. The corregated stuff is too thick for this project. Cut cereal boxes into flat workable pieces.
Then on the side with all of the writing and print draw your shapes. Then cut them out and flip them over. See how clean they look?
Now poke holes with a hole punch or an eyelet setter (that is what I did) all around the shapes. Like so...
Then get your yarn and needles. I bought these 2 3/4 inch or 7 cm steel yarn needles at Michaels. They were $1.67 and I bought 3 packages. for a total of 6 needles so friends can do it too. These are very blunt, and I poked my kids to see how sharp they were and it didn't hurt them at all. :)
Tie a knot at one end and I painted clear nail polish on the lacing end so the needle would be easy to thread later. I cut about 12 lengths and tied knots so we had plenty of yarn ready to go.
Go ahead start lacing...

My kids were so into it I had to put it away so they would take a nap! It is a perfect little quite activity and it is PERFECT for airplane rides or car trips!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'm going to have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this and it was great. I would change one thing. I had one friend tell me to just tap the yarn to a toothpick and I had another friend tell me to just put scotch tape at the end of the yarn and they can use that to thread. I did the scotch tape and it worked well. -Mindi from Mesa

    ReplyDelete

this content is copyrighted NO RIGHT CLICK!

..

Protected by CopyrightSpot MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected