If you have tried anything on this site please leave a comment and let me know.

The more I hear from you the better! I love hearing how these activities are working in your home/daycare or nursery!
I get lots of emails about what you are doing, just leave a comment so everyone can read it too!


Monday, June 22, 2009

Homemade Chalk

I swear sometimes my kids have such a thick accent I can't even understand them! Today their accent was from Boston. "Chaaak!" Yes we are making chalk. "Oh Mommy I love Chaaak." Okay, lets get our towel aprons on and have at it.

They weren't as dark as I would have liked.


It was VERY messy but they turned out pretty good. I should have let them dry a little longer. We started this project after my hubby left at 6:45 am. We tried them out at 11:30am and they were still a little soft. I let the kids use them and then I pulled out the good ol' crayolas. I now have our extra chalk on reserves for things like the park or what ever else we decide to use them on. I also let them sit in the sun for a bit to really dry them out.
We spent most of the morning outside.


We had a great time coloring and playing outside again today!



I even managed to convince my son into letting me trace him! This was one of my favorite things to do when I played chalk outside as a kid.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup Plaster of Paris
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • powdered tempera paint
  • Something to use as a mold *

Directions:

Mix the water, Plaster of Paris and powdered tempera paint. The more tempera paint you add, the deeper the color of the chalk will be. Then pour the mixture into you mold.

Toilet Paper Roll: A toilet paper roll works as a mold. Just seal one end with duct tape and pour the mixture into the mold and let it dry. You can line the toilet paper roll with wax paper so that the chalk will easily slide out.

We used film canisters AND Mini M&M containers as well as the TP Rolls... this made the chalk skinner and easier to hold. Plus the plastic made it non-stick!

Another successful Art Tuesday...(Fist clenched and swinging up and down with knee in the air)...YES!
Original Post: 4/21/09

1 comment:

this content is copyrighted NO RIGHT CLICK!

..

Protected by CopyrightSpot MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected